[CentOS] Simple scan in CentOS 7

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jun 16 00:58:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 04:28:17PM -0400, H wrote:
> I just installed C7 on a new computer and despite Simple Scan being installed as part of C7, I have not been able to get it to recognize my Canon scanner connected to a USB port. I did have it running on another computer with C7 so there should not be any inherent issues.
>
> On a lark I installed gscan2pdf and sane-backends-drivers-scanners and sane-find-scanner found it:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1908 [CanoScan]) at libusb:001:010
>
> I perused my notes for the old computer but did not see I installed any additional software to get it going but I might be wrong.
>
> What have I missed?

On my C7 box, simple-scan requires libsane. try: ldd simple-scan |grep -i sane.

# ldd /usr/bin/simple-scan | grep -i sane
	libsane.so.1 => /lib64/libsane.so.1 (0x00007f3668291000)

ldd doesn't show any other sane dependencies, but I'd sorta think
that simple-scan would also need sane-backends as well. Here's all
the sane things I have installed, FYI:

# ldd /usr/bin/simple-scan | grep -i sane
	libsane.so.1 => /lib64/libsane.so.1 (0x00007f3668291000)
[root at fcshome log]# yum list installed | grep -i sane
libsane-hpaio.x86_64                  3.15.9-5.el7               @base
sane-backends.x86_64                  1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-devel.i686              1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-devel.x86_64            1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-doc.noarch              1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-drivers-cameras.i686    1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-drivers-cameras.x86_64  1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.i686   1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.x86_64 1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-libs.i686               1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-backends-libs.x86_64             1.0.24-12.el7              @base
sane-frontends.x86_64                 1.0.14-19.el7              @base
xsane.x86_64                          0.999-9.el7                @base
xsane-common.x86_64                   0.999-9.el7                @base
xsane-gimp.x86_64                     0.999-9.el7                @base

also FYI, I'm using a Canon LiDE 210, which works fine for me.

Good luck!

Fred