[CentOS] LUKS layer / best practice

Jason Edgecombe

jwedgeco at uncc.edu
Tue Jun 16 19:59:23 UTC 2020

I recommend having LUKS be "under" LVM. the layers would be:
/dev/sda -> partition (/dev/sda1) -> LUKS (/dev/sda1_crypt) -> LVM physical
volume -> volume group -> logical volume -> filesystem

The layers described above are how the Ubuntu installer sets up an
encrypted LVM filesystem. As far as I know, TRIM is passed through LUKS and
the LVM layers if it's available in the hardware.

Sincerely,
Jason

Jason Edgecombe | Linux Administrator
UNC Charlotte | The William States Lee College of Engineering
9201 University City Blvd. | Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
Phone: 704-687-1943
jwedgeco at uncc.edu | http://engr.uncc.edu |  Facebook
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone at
704-687-1943.  Thank you.