[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:55:06 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 09:42, Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 02:23:36PM +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> >
> > > About Oracle as alternative. Oracle Linux is not an alternative to
> > > CentOS but for RHEL and if I will force to pay for enteprise system
> > > currently I will pay RHEL, not OL. Over this, OL is not the only
> > > enterprise distro that a "user" could choose. If support is needed there
> > > are SUSE (SLES) and Ubuntu. For who that don't need support there are
> > > Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (I'm talking about the most used but you know
> > > that slackware,FreeBSD are in that list), so many alternatives are in place.
> >
> > I think it's particularly disappointing *if* this is a "policy" from RH
> > since the other major RHEL clone, Scientific Linux, has not produced an
> > EL8 offering in favour of using CentOS.
>
> Keep in mind that as soon as Scientific Linux started taking off, IIRC,
> because CentOS was late with a release, RH quickly hired its main
> developer.  I don't think we can really expect RH to act differently than
> most corporations.

A major reason various people were hired from Fermi labs was very much
that DOE(*) was cutting back funding on Fermilab and there were a lot
of layoffs for anything which could not be the 'core' mission of
Fermi. Making operating systems by any of the labs in the DOE complex
was considered to be not a core mission, and multiple groups were
either laid off or 'asked' to retire. The hiring of people was mainly
because people were soon to be out of a job.

DOE - US Department of Energy which funds Fermi and Argonne National
Labs in Illinois as physics science institutes.

> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6

Stephen J Smoogen.