[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Wed Jun 17 19:02:12 UTC 2020

On 17/06/2020 18:38, Michael Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am the author of said blog article.
>
> FIRST: It was never my intention to criticize the CentOS
> team. I appreciate the hard work you are doing. If my blog
> text (which is in German langugage) gave a wrong impression,
> I apologize.
>
> SECOND: I LOVE CentOS. Otherwise it would not matter to
> me. I use CentOS to teach Linux administration at
> university, I promote CentOS in my books and I use it
> personally on some servers.
>
> THIRD: It is a fact that the update gaps for CentOS 8 are
> currently too long for productive use. Basically, that's why
> I now warn against using CentOS 8 on live systems.
>
> ---
>
> One might argue, CentOS was never intended for productive
> use. Perhaps I misunderstood this. And with me all
> administrators of some million web servers running on
> CentOS. Hm. Time to rethink?

As far as I'm aware that has always been the case. Johnny has never been
slow in coming forward and saying if you need updates, or a service
level agreement, or support then you should buy RHEL. That is what it is
for. If not, then use CentOS for free. But don't use CentOS for free on
production servers and then shout or act surprised when you don't have
updates on a timescale you consider appropriate.

Nothing has changed in this regard for as long as I've been a CentOS
user or been involved in the CentOS community. If you are now having to
rethink your approach then you probably either haven't given it
sufficient thought in the first place or you originally came to the
wrong conclusion.

This is a non-issue. Nothing has changed. Things were exactly the same
with CentOS 4, CentOS 5, CentOS 6, CentOS 7, and by it's very nature it
will be the same in CentOS 9... The simple matter is it takes time to
rebuild a complete OS and there will always be a lag. Either that is
acceptable to you and you use it, or you purchase a RHEL license for
your publicly facing infrastructure. The only issue here is people's
unrealistic expectations, and to be fair the CentOS Project can hardly
be accused of falsely raising peoples expectations having consistently
stated it will be ready when it's done for at least the last 15 years.