[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Wed Jun 17 21:02:51 UTC 2020

On 17/06/2020 21:05, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 6/17/20 3:32 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>>
>> On my home file server for example, which is not connected to the
>> internet, what does it matter if the release is 1 month or 3 months
>> out of date? I can install the server in the knowledge it's going to
>> work, and be supported with updates for 10 years and I can largely
>> forget about it. My el5 box ran for more than 10 years until the
>> hardware eventually died.
> EL5... how modern...  from a production application server VM, not
> internet-connected:
> [root at c6-2850 ~]# ssh root at 10.1.x.y
> root at 10.1.x.y's password:
> Last login: Tue Jan 28 19:53:32 2020
> unknown terminal "xterm-256color"
> unknown terminal "xterm-256color"
> [root at localhost root]# cat /etc/centos-release
> CentOS Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Slurm)
> [root at localhost root]#
>
> This one has to be hard reset every day or two (virsh reset rhel2.1)
> since the bridge to the guest just dies randomly, and a reboot inside
> the guest hangs hard before finishing the reboot.  The hard reset has to
> manually load the ethernet kernel module after it's booted up so far; if
> the ethernet module loads too soon it will never connect.... haven't
> found the reason for that, either, just run a pinging script every
> fifteen minutes on the host to check for connectivity and 'virsh reset
> rhel2.1' when it fails.  The appserver is hard reboot resilient, and the
> software does a very specific task, and there's no budget for a
> rewrite.  At least I did upgrade it from Red Hat Linux 5.2 a couple of
> years ago (the RHL5.2 box, an old AMD K6/2-450 with 128MB of RAM, ran
> almost continuously for 20 years).
>
> Thanks, CentOS!

Indeed!

You have clearly had more success with the longevity of your hardware
than me. I was plagued with expanding capacitors about 15 years ago
which killed off most of my hardware at the time, and the replacements
were taken out of service as they subsequently died meaning I'm
exclusively running el7|8 now :-)