[CentOS] Amd es1000

John Pierce

jhn.pierce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:10:57 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 1:55 PM Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Ah, I love your good answer. I remember this from the past:
>
> Why my $20 adaptec RAID card (they were "software" RAID) doesn't work as
> well (if at all) as your $700 3ware or LSI (megaraid) or Areca card?

actually, I prefer the LSI 'HBA' cards in IT mode, with the raid
functionality completely disabled, and use the host OS's storage
management, ZFS on FreeBSD or mdraid+lvm on Linux.    Only place I would
use a 'true' RAID controller would be on a Windows Server as Windows
software raid is awful, ok, and on a VMware ESXi server, as its storage
management is awful, too.   But on that latter, I would MUCH rather use
NAS/SAN storage.   And on the Windows server, I would much rather it be
virtualized.

--
-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz