[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Peter

peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Sat Jun 20 10:50:26 UTC 2020

On 20/06/20 3:50 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Your dates are significantly off
> Wikipedia has a delay listed in a table:
>
> It is, for CentOS-7, For example:
>
> 7.0  27
> 7.1  26
> 7.2  25
> 7.3  39
> 7.4  43
> 7.5  31
> 7.6  34
> 7.7  42
> 7.8  28
>

> For 6 .. since 6.2, it has bee3n between 10 and 18 days.
>
> For 8:
>
> 8.0  140
> 8.1  71
> 8.2  48

So the delays for 8 are significantly longer than they ever were for 7.

> And EL8 is exponentially harder with an entirely new build system and
> the requirement to build modules.

But it seems like every major release has had reasons to be
exponentially harder than the last.  With 7 it was the shift to using
the git sources instead of the SRPMS that were previously provided by
Red Hat, thereby necessitating an entirely new build system, plus the
change to systemd and the introduction of a new point release numbering
scheme, not to mention the move to entirely new infrastructure because
of the change to Red Hat sponsorship.  So given those I find it hard to
believe that the changes in 8 are so much different as to have had such
longer delays than 7.

I'd also like to point out something else, from:
https://wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8.x#Current_Timeline_8.2.2004

It would appear that the package build was completed on the 4th of May,
why didn't we get a CR repo dump this time around so that CentOS users
wouldn't have to wait another month before getting critical updates?

Peter