[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Peter

peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Mon Jun 22 01:12:38 UTC 2020

On 22/06/20 10:13 am, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> There are 2 sets of work.
> 1. There is the work on the tools which were slapped together as an
> emergency from parts before 8.0. Those mbboxx tools are getting a
> rewrite and upgrade currently by the CPE team to make them more useful
> in the future. Stream only helps in that it is the excuse for that
> work to be done versus it molding and falling apart right after every
> 8.x release comes out.

I didn't know that a rewrite is still needed on the current tool set and
granted Stream can help with this, but I hardly think that it's
necessary and the tool set can always be tested against the current
release (8.2) from git.

> 2. There is the work that happens because various things are rebased
> and you need to figure out the HTF you get from build A to build A+1
> by rebuilding N packages. That is work that Stream should help on
> because this is then knowledge is being done in stream before hand. If
> you know that package A went to A+1 then to A+2 and then back to A+1
> but you learned how to do the second A+1 from a flag you used with
> A+2, then the amount of time reinventing the wheel is shortened.

This I do realize and it's the one exception I considered where Stream
might come in handy, but not handy enough to justify its existence, imo.
  Usually in a new point release there might be a small handful of
packages that need re-basing, out of those the number of packages that
would need to have the spec file tweaked to build them would be minimal
(at a complete guess three or less) and out of those the number that
would require a change to the tool set would likely average out to be
less than one per point release.  In a worst-case scenario it might save
a day or two on a particularly nasty point release, and this would
easily be recouped in the amount of time it would save if the CentOS
team did not have to maintain Stream at all.

Now these are just semi-educated guesses and I don't have the experience
to justify this so I'm happy to consider real numbers that prove me wrong.

Peter