[CentOS] HP vs. Brother Printers: Use with Centos/Fedora

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 03:48:55 UTC 2020

On 6/27/20 5:33 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
> If you had to rate which printer brand works better with Linux (Fedora and Centos), what would it be?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jay

I have an HP Laser Jet Pro M402n connected on my network.  I used to
work just fine from CentOS 6 but recently no joy.  Something broke and
I'm not fixing it because CentOS 6 will be EOL soon and I'm in the
process changing over all my systems to CentOS 8.

 From CentOS 8 there's no issues as far a plain paper printing is concerned.

When I comes to printing on envelopes I just this evening won a battle
with the printer when printing on #6 3/4 envelopes.  I resolved the
problem by setting the printer to print on C5 envelopes, and LibreOffice
Writer to use the same C5 envelope.  The C5 envelope is considerably
larger that the #6 3/4 envelope.  With some tweeking of the location of
the address on the document in LibreOffice Writer I got it to print the
address on the #6 3/4 envelope in the right place.

The M402n does not support the #6 3/4 envelope directly.  You have to
fiddle with it.  If you have to print on envelopes make sure that the
printer you buy supports the envelope you want to print on unless you
like fiddling.  Me, I'm a tuba player, not a fiddle player. YMMV

--
     _
    °v°