[CentOS] yum/dnf diff

Sat Jun 6 16:33:56 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> --On Friday, June 05, 2020 1:39 PM -0700 John Pierce
> <jhn.pierce at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> don't most packages create a .rpmnew file if you've modified the
>> previous
>> package file ?
>
> That file is created AFTER you've made edits, and reflects only the state
> of the file in the latest package. So it's not clear what changed from the
> original package that needs to be migrated into one's current settings.
>
> As a rule I try to copy the original files to xxx.original so I can
> compare
> that to both the .rpmnew file and my working file. But I or another admin
> might forget to save the original. So I end up going the cpio route to
> extract the original files to a temp tree to do the 3-way comparison
> between the original, my modifications, and the latest package's
> modifications.

I do something similar. Before editing any config file, I create a copy of
it named xxx.orig. If I once forgot to do it in time, I have a helper
script 'mkorig [file]' which extracts the file from the corresponding RPM.
Now when doing upgrades with our package managing tool, this will upgrade
using YUM/DNF and after this it's merging all config files. This goes well
in ~95% of the cases. For the cases where merging wasn't possible, it
produces the .rej files so one can merge by hand.

Simon