[CentOS] yum/dnf diff

Mon Jun 8 15:00:31 UTC 2020
Paddy Doyle <paddy at tchpc.tcd.ie>

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 12:34:07PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out
> what edits I made to my config files.
>
> My most recent case was trying to figure out what I'd done to my BIND files
> (/etc/named.*, /etc/logrotate.d/named, /var/named/*). I ended up just
> tarring them up and erasing and re-installing the bind package, then
> untarring my old config into a tmp directory and diffing the files
> individually, reapplying appropriate changes.

Just to mention that 'etckeeper' from EPEL is a great way of tracking
changes in /etc. It interfaces nicely with yum, such that installing a
package means that it will commit changes to the /etc repo. And there's a
daily crontab that commits changes. You can manually commit changes as
well. Then you can 'git log -p' to see what changes were made to the file
over time.

It won't track /var/named/* though.

Paddy

--
Paddy Doyle
Research IT / Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,