[CentOS] Modifying username

Sun Jun 14 21:41:16 UTC 2020
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Sunday, June 14, 2020 17:26:42 -0400
> From: Jay Hart <jhart at kevla.org>
>
>> On 6/14/20 1:39 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
>>> You may need to modify /etc/shadow for consistency.
>>>
>>> I don't know what to do here.  Need some guidance please.
>>

>> Run "vipw -s" and make the same change to that file's record for
>> ABCLast.
>>

> In /etc/passwd the directory was shown in plain text.  So I just
> moved over in the line and changed /home/ABCLast to /home/ALast.
> Saved file, and exited.
>
> I don't see a directory name in /etc/shadow using 'vipw -s'

The /etc/shadow file doesn't have the user directory information,
rather the username and the password (and some other bits - man
shadow for the details). With the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow out of
sync - having different versions of the username - I suspect that the
user can't log in. You should also fix the shadow group file
(gshadow). Look at the man page for vipw for the command for doing
that.