[CentOS] halt versus shutdown

Mon Jun 15 00:19:59 UTC 2020
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> fwiw, i've always used 'init 0' to shut down all sorts of unix/linux
> systems.

In EL7/EL8, init is now a symlink as well because everything is
controlled by systemd.

>   On old school unix, and I think even early Linux, halt was an
> /immediate/ halt, as in catch fire.   might as well hit the power switch.

Not quite. Shutdown is a timed thing so you can tell it to shutdown or
reboot at a certain time or after a certain delay and it can broadcast
messages to the users - it's useful on multi-user systems to be able to
warn users that the system is about to go down. Halt is an immediate
thing without any broadcast messages or delay but it does do the halt
cleanly.  There is an option to halt to not sync the disks - this is
not a wise thing to do and is an emergency option - certainly the
original man pages for halt said something like "only do this if your
disks are on fire".

P.