[CentOS] /etc/networks file

Mon Jun 15 11:39:27 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 19:55, Jay Hart <jhart at kevla.org> wrote:

> I am having some network connectivity issues that manifest itself through
> ping, wget, dnf, etc.
> The symptoms are intermittent ability to ping, was wget, or connect to
> repositories.
>
> Where this inquiry is going is: If your internal network is using
> 192.168.1 or 10..50.10, what
> should be in /etc/networks.
>
> My current file contains:
>
> default 0.0.0.0
> loopback 127.0.0.0
> link-local 169.254.0.0
>
> And I'm pretty sure this is the default OS installed contents.
>
> I don't think this is related to my connectivity issue, just curious about
> what this file does.
>
> My old server (which is working just fine) has the same content in its
> /etc/networks file so not
> configuring this does not seem to matter one way or the other.
>
> If one were using 192.168.1.x network , assume 'default' should be
> 192.168.1.0.  'Link-local'
> should match???

This is an archaic file which is equivalent to /etc/hosts and can be  used
by various network tools instead of DNS.
https://linux-audit.com/the-purpose-of-etc-networks/

Other than getent, this file seems to be little use in a default EL7/EL8
system as route and netstat were 'deprecated' and have to be installed
outside of default installs.