[CentOS] After update to 8 (2004) ... system is unbootable - UEFI Secure boot

Tue Jun 16 20:04:51 UTC 2020
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 16/06/2020 15:06, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I updated a Dell XPS laptop from CentOS 8.1 (1911) to 8.2 (2004).
>
> Installed kernels are
> kernel-4.18.0-147.5.1.el8_1.x86_64
> kernel-4.18.0-147.8.1.el8_1.x86_64
> kernel-4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64
>
> Unfortunately I can not boot into the latest
> kernel-4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64.
>
> After grub2 screen I only see following line:
>
> EFI stub: UEFI Secure Boot is enabled
>
> Booting into the older kernel is still possible. The
> above line appears and after that the normal kernel
> output scrolls over the screen (rhgb quiet disabled).
>
> Is the new kernel correctly signed?
>
> What can I do?
>
> --
> Thanks
> Leon

Hi Leon,

Don't think that it's due to secureboot, as on my work laptop (thinkpad
t490s), I have secureboot on, and kernel working fine.

OTOH, on my family laptop (also in secureboot mode), when I updated from
8.1.1011 to 8.2.2004, laptop became unresponsive during the
microcode_ctl update (in scriptlet) and after that it auto-reset itself
, so in the middle of the whole rpm transaction.
I tried to recover it but it was to a point where it was faster to just
reinstall from scratch with 8.2.2004, which I did ... and in gnome,
everything was fine, etc (adding repo, pkgs) but then on the *same*
kernel it was installed with, just tried a reboot, and nothing  : grub
shows menu, you select kernel and on upper left there is only cursor
(fixed) and nothing happens ..

I'll try to diagnose what's the issue as actually that means troubles
with family using that laptop :)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab