[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 17 14:10:06 UTC 2020
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Il 17/06/20 15:42, Scott Robbins ha scritto:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 02:23:36PM +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>>
>>> About Oracle as alternative. Oracle Linux is not an alternative to
>>> CentOS but for RHEL and if I will force to pay for enteprise system
>>> currently I will pay RHEL, not OL. Over this, OL is not the only
>>> enterprise distro that a "user" could choose. If support is needed there
>>> are SUSE (SLES) and Ubuntu. For who that don't need support there are
>>> Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (I'm talking about the most used but you know
>>> that slackware,FreeBSD are in that list), so many alternatives are in place.
>>
>> I think it's particularly disappointing *if* this is a "policy" from RH
>> since the other major RHEL clone, Scientific Linux, has not produced an
>> EL8 offering in favour of using CentOS.
>
> Keep in mind that as soon as Scientific Linux started taking off, IIRC,
> because CentOS was late with a release, RH quickly hired its main
> developer.  I don't think we can really expect RH to act differently than
> most corporations.

Yes but today Scientific Linux is out of games and CERN made CentOS CERN
based on C8 so there is no more a valid competitor for this target (in
the RH family based distro)

CentOS at the current status (third 8 release) is not suitable for
production with the current issues and we are forced to buy rhel license
(and every needed extension).

I would to know what think all ISPs that offer centos 8 on their VPS,
Dedicated Server, Shared Hosting and how they handle this problem
(probably they don't because the choice is on the customer but maybe...)

As you said, probably nothing will change for the corporation "limit"
concept but at this point, probably, many users will migrate to another
platform with less limitation.