[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 17 16:09:07 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 6/17/20 10:19 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> I wonder about the authors conclusion; the fact that RHEL is the choice
> for critical applications (what ever critical is) is known since the
> early days. This applies randomly to C5.11, C4.9 or C8.2.2004.
>
> So - cold soup get cooked again :-)

Indeed.  The author's conclusion has been the case since White Box
Enterprise Linux was a thing.  Anyone and everyone can get the sources
from git.centos.org as soon as they are released and build the stuff
themselves if they think it can be done faster; that's how WBEL got
started, as a one-user project that just happened to be publicly
released.  Building from source has never really been any easier; the
lack of .src.rpms is not an impediment to just getting something built.
But the CentOS value-add is that those rebuilt sources have been tested
for binary compatibility and are from a trusted source.  A one-person
project like WBEL would have a much more difficult time today, with
modularity especially. Build times for these packages is not zero.