[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 17 20:05:20 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 6/17/20 3:32 PM, Phil Perry wrote:

> On my home file server for example, which is not connected to the
> internet, what does it matter if the release is 1 month or 3 months
> out of date? I can install the server in the knowledge it's going to
> work, and be supported with updates for 10 years and I can largely
> forget about it. My el5 box ran for more than 10 years until the
> hardware eventually died.
EL5... how modern...  from a production application server VM, not
internet-connected:
[root at c6-2850 ~]# ssh root at 10.1.x.y
root at 10.1.x.y's password:
Last login: Tue Jan 28 19:53:32 2020
unknown terminal "xterm-256color"
unknown terminal "xterm-256color"
[root at localhost root]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Slurm)
[root at localhost root]#

This one has to be hard reset every day or two (virsh reset rhel2.1)
since the bridge to the guest just dies randomly, and a reboot inside
the guest hangs hard before finishing the reboot.  The hard reset has to
manually load the ethernet kernel module after it's booted up so far; if
the ethernet module loads too soon it will never connect.... haven't
found the reason for that, either, just run a pinging script every
fifteen minutes on the host to check for connectivity and 'virsh reset
rhel2.1' when it fails.  The appserver is hard reboot resilient, and the
software does a very specific task, and there's no budget for a
rewrite.  At least I did upgrade it from Red Hat Linux 5.2 a couple of
years ago (the RHL5.2 box, an old AMD K6/2-450 with 128MB of RAM, ran
almost continuously for 20 years).

Thanks, CentOS!