[CentOS] Bootable USB keys : which brand ?

Fri Jun 19 14:48:02 UTC 2020
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

In my daily work I'm mainly using USB keys for work : one with CentOS 7, one
with OpenSUSE Leap 15.1, one with Slax Live for data recovery purposes, one
with Ghost4Linux and one with FreeDOS which I use for flashing the odd BIOS.

Last week I bought a set of three flashy colored USB keys in a local shop. To
my surprise, none of them seem to be able to boot anything. When I write a
bootable image (CentOS, OpenSUSE, whatever) to any one of the USB keys, the USB
key boot option doesn't show up on any one of my sandbox PCs. Looks like I just
learnt the hard way that some USB keys can't be used for installation purposes.

As far as I can tell, I need a set of 8 GB keys so the biggest image, the
CentOS 8 ISO, can fit. Can you recommend a no-nonsense USB key brand which I
can use to make a set of USB installation keys ?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr