[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Fri Jun 19 15:29:26 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 6/19/20 10:18 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 6/18/20 11:12 AM, Thomas Bendler wrote:
>> Hi Johnny,
>>
>> Am Mi., 17. Juni 2020 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org
>>> :
>>
>>> [...]
>>> No one is trynig to make anything slower.
>>>

>> This is good to hear but ...
>>
>>> [...]
>>> I can assure you .. I am working my butt off everyday to make CentOS
>>> Linux the best it can be.  If you want to compare what the CentOS team
>>> (a small team) can do compared to Oracle (a tmulti billin dollar
>>> corporation who bought Sun Microsystems .. took over Java and Open
>>> Office, etc)  .. well, we can not provide the resources they can provide.
>>> [...]
>>

>> ... then I'm missing some kind of strategy on how to improve things (or
>> maybe I simply don't know they exist). Without having a detailed background
>> about the project setup and the way the small team works, I would at a
>> first glance assume that there are two options to improve. One would be to
>> make the team bigger (as you said, it's open and I'm pretty sure there are
>> enough volunteers) or a second one, by increasing the automation level for
>> the CentOS production.
>>
>> What do you think and are there discussions in the core CentOS community to
>> go either one of these routes?
>>

> While both of those would be helpful .. neither will really SOLVE the
> issue.  This is an iterative process.  You build something, test it,
> rebuild all the bad parts, test it again .. rinse, repeat
>
> We usually have the first build 3 or so days after they release.
>
> Many things build out of order.  They get tested and rebuilt.

How is this going to be fixed .. Welcome to CentOS Stream

Stream will be , once it is fully implemented, the ACTUAL development of
RHEL the 'next point release' on git.centos.org in the open.

It will be a rolling distro that is GOING to be the Source Code used for
next RHEL point release.

Therefore, we will have all package as they are being worked on by the
RHEL Engineers .. and you can see it happen in progress.  You can also
use it however you want.  There will be no delay i this at all.  It will
be constantly moving. There will be no 500 pacakges drop or delays.