[CentOS] yum/dnf diff

Fri Jun 5 19:34:07 UTC 2020
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

On 6/5/2020 12:21 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> if you click on the six digit number, for example, e52775 for the
> current latest "import 389-ds-base-1.3.10.1-9.el7_8".  The result is
> every diff of every change for the rpm.

That's quite handy! But not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to figure
out what edits I made to my config files.

My most recent case was trying to figure out what I'd done to my BIND
files (/etc/named.*, /etc/logrotate.d/named, /var/named/*). I ended up
just tarring them up and erasing and re-installing the bind package,
then untarring my old config into a tmp directory and diffing the files
individually, reapplying appropriate changes.

Some packages make this a bit easier, such as systemd unit files (where
my customization never touches a package file) and fail2ban (where
customizations go in a .local file that overrides settings in a .conf
file. I much prefer this pattern, but it doesn't work with older
packages like BIND. Some packages have a hybrid structure with a
directory for customizations, like apache.