[CentOS] Modifying username

Sun Jun 14 22:08:44 UTC 2020

On 6/14/20 4:41 PM, Richard wrote:

>> Date: Sunday, June 14, 2020 17:26:42 -0400
>> From: Jay Hart <jhart at kevla.org>

>>> Run "vipw -s" and make the same change to that file's record for
>>> ABCLast.
>>>

>> In /etc/passwd the directory was shown in plain text.  So I just
>> moved over in the line and changed /home/ABCLast to /home/ALast.
>> Saved file, and exited.
>>
>> I don't see a directory name in /etc/shadow using 'vipw -s'
>>

> The /etc/shadow file doesn't have the user directory information,
> rather the username and the password (and some other bits - man
> shadow for the details). With the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow out of
> sync - having different versions of the username - I suspect that the
> user can't log in. You should also fix the shadow group file
> (gshadow). Look at the man page for vipw for the command for doing
> that.

Whenever you are attempting to edit UNIX user related files manually,
keep in mind that information in the following files should be changed
(not necessarily in all, depending on what you change):

/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/gshadow

There are also "previous versions" of each of these files which have the
same names appended by hyphen ("minus").

Also, keep in mind that permissions for all of these files matter.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri