[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 17 19:37:25 UTC 2020
Noam Bernstein <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil>

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:
>
> I get what you are saying, but what difference does it make if it has? What does it matter if the lag is 1 week, or 1 month, or more? The only reason it will matter to you is if you are trying to do something with CentOS that is time critical - e.g, publicly facing server that needs security updates, using CentOS on test servers to validate production releases for RHEL, etc. At which point you probably should be using RHEL if it is important to you, not CentOS, and it was a mistake to deploy CentOS in those roles in the first place.

And yet in practice many of us have found CentOS to be perfectly adequate for such applications in the past, up to and including CentOS 7.  If this is no longer true for CentOS 8, for whatever reason, it's useful to know.  I'm not saying RHEL doesn't have its place - just that perhaps the boundary in the range of applicability between it and CentOS has therefore also changed.

								Noam