[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 17 21:21:52 UTC 2020
Noam Bernstein <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil>

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:
>
> Once upon a time, Noam Bernstein <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil> said:
>> Of course.   My only question is whether the observation that the gap for CentOS 8 is indeed larger than we have come to be used to for CentOS 7.
>
> So, I took a look... and the answer is "it's not" (with a small sample
> set).  I took dates from Wikipedia for RHEL and the archived release
> notes for CentOS.  I didn't bother with the .0 releases (since that's a
> lot of new work anyway).  Right now, CentOS 8 is far faster than CentOS
> 7 and 6 were at this stage.

Did you look at the German blog that started this discussion? I don't know what determines the archived release notes dates, but I just picked the longest delay, CentOS 7.4.   You list:

> release RHEL date       CentOS date     days
> 7.4     2017-08-01      2018-03-21      232
which is indeed the "last updated" dated on the archived notes. However, the German blog post that started this thread lists the much earlier 2017-09-13 for CentOS, 43 days.  On the mailing list this message
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2017-September/022532.html <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2017-September/022532.html>appears to confirm the earlier date.

I'm not sure the difference shown in that blog (assuming the other dates are also correct) is really quite so dramatic as to justify the conclusion that CentOS 8 is now too slow in getting updates for a substantial number of situations where the CentOS 7 lag was acceptable, but it's apparently not faster.

								Noam