[CentOS] C8 - KVM on bridge on VLAN on team issues.

Thu Jun 18 17:35:09 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 6/17/20 4:07 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 6/17/20 1:51 PM, Ulf Volmer wrote:
>> Just to make it sure: Did you try to disable firewalld?
>> With my experience with libvirt and vlan bridges on Fedora, libvirt may
>> include unwanted firewall rules which drops the traffic over the
>> bridges.
> I haven't done that yet, so I'll try that next.  Thanks for the idea.

So, I tried dropping the firewall, etc.  No joy.

So I punted; I did a scratch reinstall of C8.2.2004 on the host, using
the 'Virtualization Host' group, and creating one bridge on the
management VLAN, but this time on top of a bond, not a team. After
install, reboot, and updating to latest, which verified that the
management IP and VLAN has connectivity, I then used nmtui to create the
second bridge on the second VLAN on top of the bond.  I then connected
to libvirt with virt-manager on my laptop, and installed a minimal
install of C8 as a guest, connected to bridge302 again, with a static
address.  After the install and reboot, I checked with a ping on the
guest to its gateway; hooray now it works.  I was able to update the
guest and get the application server installed that is goig on the
guest, with good throughput.  Other than this one using a bond instead
of a team I don't see any difference in the bridge setup.  No extra work
was required to get it to work, either.

So, I set up another development host, but this time using a team
instead of a bond, and I'm going to try to get that working with bridged
networking to a virtual guest, since it really is supposed to work, and
I'm very curious why it didn't.  But the first guest running that
particular application server is required in pretty short order, too
short for me to play around trying to get teaming to work properly for a
bridged-on-a-VLAN guest.