[CentOS] Blog article about the state of CentOS

Wed Jun 24 07:03:29 UTC 2020
Thomas Stephen Lee <lee.iitb at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 6:43 AM Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:

> On 22/06/20 10:13 am, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > There are 2 sets of work.
> > 1. There is the work on the tools which were slapped together as an
> > emergency from parts before 8.0. Those mbboxx tools are getting a
> > rewrite and upgrade currently by the CPE team to make them more useful
> > in the future. Stream only helps in that it is the excuse for that
> > work to be done versus it molding and falling apart right after every
> > 8.x release comes out.
>
> I didn't know that a rewrite is still needed on the current tool set and
> granted Stream can help with this, but I hardly think that it's
> necessary and the tool set can always be tested against the current
> release (8.2) from git.
>
> > 2. There is the work that happens because various things are rebased
> > and you need to figure out the HTF you get from build A to build A+1
> > by rebuilding N packages. That is work that Stream should help on
> > because this is then knowledge is being done in stream before hand. If
> > you know that package A went to A+1 then to A+2 and then back to A+1
> > but you learned how to do the second A+1 from a flag you used with
> > A+2, then the amount of time reinventing the wheel is shortened.
>
> This I do realize and it's the one exception I considered where Stream
> might come in handy, but not handy enough to justify its existence, imo.
>   Usually in a new point release there might be a small handful of
> packages that need re-basing, out of those the number of packages that
> would need to have the spec file tweaked to build them would be minimal
> (at a complete guess three or less) and out of those the number that
> would require a change to the tool set would likely average out to be
> less than one per point release.  In a worst-case scenario it might save
> a day or two on a particularly nasty point release, and this would
> easily be recouped in the amount of time it would save if the CentOS
> team did not have to maintain Stream at all.
>
> Now these are just semi-educated guesses and I don't have the experience
> to justify this so I'm happy to consider real numbers that prove me wrong.
>

> Hi,

Now I have RHEL 8 installed for my test machine and some test Virtual
Machines.

I then subscribed to the RHSA-announce mailing list.

Now I wonder why a particular package has not been released for CentOS 8
while it has been some time on RHEL OS and mailing list.

With CentOS 7, I had no RHEL developer access, so I never wondered why a
particular update has not been released CentOS 7

I just used CentOS 7 and was happy.

Is this a valid reason for my impatience?

-
Lee