[CentOS] HP vs. Brother Printers: Use with Centos/Fedora

Sat Jun 27 23:56:08 UTC 2020
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 03:44:00PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 17:33:39 -0400
> Jay Hart wrote:
>
> > If you had to rate which printer brand works better with Linux (Fedora and
> > Centos), what would it be?
>
> Any Brother printer that I've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with either didn't work at all or if could be made to work, it didn't work for long.
>
> If it's a Brother, run away as fast as you can.  They're the cheapest crappiest thing you can possibly imagine.
>
> My wife makes quilts and says the same thing about Brother sewing machines.

Sewing machines, I know nothing, not Brother machines anyway.

We've had a few different Brother laser printers here (at home) and
they've been great.

The first one, a HL2070N, when first connected (via USB at that time)
caused a popup window (On Centos, probably 5.x) saying brother printer
found, do I want to configure it now? I did, and it just worked.

Newer ones may require Brother's drivers, but they exist and work.

My newer HL-L2360D also works with one of the default CUPS drivers
on C7, though I forget which one. Discovered this only after using
the Brother drivers for a year or two.

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.