[CentOS] Running CentOS 6 in a Docker container on a non-CentOS host

Wed Mar 4 21:56:02 UTC 2020
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

I have to support a legacy build that runs on CentOS 6.  I’m new to Docker and would like to use the official CentOS 6.10 image (https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-images/blob/da050e2fc6c28d8d72d8bf78c49537247b5ddf76/docker/Dockerfile <https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-images/blob/da050e2fc6c28d8d72d8bf78c49537247b5ddf76/docker/Dockerfile>) as a Docker container on another host (probably some flavor of Ubuntu), but can’t figure out how to tell Docker to find that image.  I also need to make some specific customizations that I would like to distribute locally but not share with upstream.  Can somebody point me to some HOWTOs or tutorials?  Most Google searches return how to run Docker on CentOS, which is not what I’m after.

Thanks,
Alfred