[CentOS] fcitx and switching between keyboards

Fri May 1 22:45:13 UTC 2020
H <agents at meddatainc.com>

This is an old issue for me running CentOS 7, latest update. I am using fcitx to switch between keyboards, two western ones and Chinese pinyin keyboard. Ever since I installed CentOS 7 over two years ago, I have been unable to resolve issues where I can maintain keyboard setting within one application, notably chromium, and/or between applications. fcitx has a setting for allowing the keyboard choice to remain across applications but it does not work - so far.

Further, in chromium, even when within an IME, every time I hit ENTER, the keyboard resets back to the default (EN_US). Needless to say, this makes for some very tedious typing using an alternative keyboard.

I do not have this problem remaining within a single IME in Thunderbird, nor in Firefox, nor in LibreOffice. I can switch back and forth between one of these apps and the keyboard switches back to what I last used in that app when switching back to the app - /provided I have used Chinese/. It does not work when I use different western keyboards in the various apps.

Is anyone using fcitx switching between different keyboards and can confirm the above - or refute it?