[CentOS] Understanding VDO vs ZFS

Mon May 4 18:03:04 UTC 2020
John Pierce <jhn.pierce at gmail.com>

Rather than dedupe at the file system level, I found the application level
dedupe in BackupPC works really well...   I've run BackupPC on both a big
ZFS volume, and on a giant XFS over LVM over MDRAID volume (24 x 3TB disks
organized as 2 x 11 raid6 plus 2 hot spares).   The backuppc server I built
at my last $job had 30 days of daily incrementals and 12 months of
monthlies of about 25 servers+VMs (including Linux, Solaris, AIX, and
Windows).   The dedupe is done globally on a file level, so no matter how
many instances of a file in all those backups ((30+12) * 25), there's only
one file in the 'hive'.    Bonus, BackupPC has a nice web UI for retrieving
backups, I could create accounts for my various developers, and they could
retrieve stuff from any covered date on any of the servers they had access
to without my intervention.

about the only manual intervention I ever needed to do over the several
years this was running involved the Windows rsync client needing a PID file
deleted after an unexpected reboot.

--
-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz