[CentOS] du hung, wild display in ps

Thu May 7 03:00:22 UTC 2020
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 06:24:10PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 5/6/20 12:28 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >Was running du to examine the sizes of my backups and
> >found du hung,
>

> /mnt/backup is probably a network-mounted filesystem that is offline
> for one reason or another.
>
> You could try "umount -f /mnt/backup" if you can't get the mount
> working by any other means.  If that doesn't work, then "umount -l
> /mnt/backup" and reboot.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's USB-3 and has been working for a coupla
months.

A reboot solved it, powering the device off/on made no difference, as
did replugging the cable.

Afterwards, I recalled that I had run a much belated yum update 2 or
3 days ago and had failed/forgotten to reboot. Probably some necessary
item had gotten wedged somehow because of that. (seen it before, but
not with a USB device.)

Thanks for the reply, though.

Fred
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding