[CentOS] how does autofs deal with stuck NFS mounts and suspending to RAM?

Thu May 21 05:32:27 UTC 2020
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:22:48 PM CEST Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 05:36:03PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> > On May 18, 2020, at 5:13 AM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
> > > Is there a better alternative for mounting remote file systems
> > > over unreliable
> > > connections?
> >
> > I don’t have a good answer for you, because if you’d asked me
> > without all this backstory whether NFS or SSHFS is more tolerant of
> > bad connections, I’d have told you SSHFS.
>
> On the other hand, NFS is a fully-featured filesystem that supports
> fancy features like locking and a full ACL system.  SSHFS is a FUSE
> filesystem that will break a lot of software if you try to use it for
> anything more complex than 'ls' and 'cp'.

Ok, I won't use it anymore then.

> For what it's worth, Samba with SMBv3 and the POSIX extension[1] is a
> lot more tolerant of bad connections, and presents itself as a real
> filesystem under linux.
>
> 1. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SMB3-Linux

I could use it as well.  How does it deal with interrupted connections?  I
don't want to loose data or otherwise break things when the connection is
interrupted.  I know that NFS is supposed to resume when the connection is
back, but what does samba/cifs do?