[CentOS] HW/MAC addr vs client id vs ...

Sat May 23 04:43:34 UTC 2020
Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com>

On 5/22/20 10:04 AM, R C wrote:
> Hello,
>

> when booting using dhcp, some OS-es use their MAC addr, some, when
> getting an IP with DHCP use a client id, sometimes  it's 01M+MAC,
> sometimes it is a quite long string, similar to UUIDs.
>
> For example some Ubuntu version  sends out their DHCP client id as
> 01+MAC, similar to windows machines.
>
> Is there a way in Centos/RHEL, to 'configure' that?  (Cisco equipment is
> kind of particlat about that), so that for example when requesting
>
> an IP using DHCP,  the  client-id used is 01+MAC  instead of just the
> MAC address?
>
> (it becomes a hassle when machines are dual boot for example).

In your ifcfg file set:

DHCP_CLIENT_ID=

to whatever you want.  I don't know of a way to automatically use the
01+MAC scheme.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/