[CentOS] run firefox via an ssh tunnel

Thu Nov 12 20:26:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 03:21:02PM -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> What part?  For the first part, either define 'DynamicForward 8000' in
> a Host section in ~/.ssh/config, or run 'ssh -D 8000 hostname' to set
> it with command line options.  Then just set your SOCKS5 proxy
> settings in Firefox to localhost:8000.  (I'm just using port 8000 as
> an example here, it can be any unused port above 1024 for regular
> users.)

If you need a full tunnel (and not just HTTP) and don't have a VPN
server, but you do have an SSH connection, I heartily recommend the
tool 'sshuttle' (https://github.com/sshuttle/sshuttle, in EPEL).
It requires root locally but not on the remote side.

Then you can just use firefox without messing with proxy settings or
anything.