[CentOS] Xorg --configure

Tue Nov 24 22:35:24 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, Jonathan Billings wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 09:27:21AM -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently running Centos 8 off an SD card.
>> It, unlike F32, lets me use my monitor's full 1440 x 900.
>>
>> Both seem to use defaults and EDID,
>> but F32 gets it wrong and saddles me with 640 x 480
>> when I can find the incantation to have it run at all.
>> The configuration files and directories I can find are pretty much empty.
>>
>> How do I add --configure to the Xorg command line?
>> 'Tis my understanding that would generate
>> a configuration file that I could port to F32.

Apparently the thing to do is run Xorg --configure
as root while an Xorg is already running.
I found in in a Centos FAQ somewhere.

> Are you sure it isn't dropping to basic VGA or VESA driver because the
> video card isn't supported in Fedora?  Can you change the resolution
> through the control panel or xrandr?

Live F33 Workstation boots from DVD and likes my monitor out of the box.
Not sure what I did with my copy of F32.
I'm just about ready to call it good.
I'm pretty sure I won't want the straight copy of live to HD,
so I'll need to find a different installer.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards