[CentOS] Emulate Ghost4Linux with standard Linux commands?

Sat Nov 28 13:12:22 UTC 2020
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 28/11/2020 à 08:13, Nicolas Kovacs a écrit :
> Now here's the question. From within my live system, how could I compress
> my system into a compact image and then send it to a distant FTP server?

I'll answer this myself, since I just experimented and found a strikingly
simple solution using dd and SSH (better than FTP).

Backup the server over the network from a live rescue session:

# dd if=/dev/sda status=progress | gzip --fast - | \
  ssh microlinux at backup.microlinux.fr \
  dd of=centos-7.9-server-image.gz

Restore this image from a live rescue session:

# ssh microlinux at backup.microlinux.fr \
  dd if=centos-7.9-server-image.gz | \
  gunzip --fast - | dd of=/dev/sda status=progress

Why didn't I think of this before ?

:o)

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat