[CentOS] X defaults

Mon Nov 23 03:10:27 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 15:51, Michael Hennebry <
> hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> 1. What kind of video card is this?
>>> 2.How is the video connected to the monitor? (DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA)
>>> 3. What kind of monitor is it?
>>> 4. What version of Fedora and is Fedora trying to do X or Wayland?
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q33 Express
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
>>

> OK most of the references I see to this card are before 2014, so I am not
> sure if this gets any testing in Fedora anymore. The resolution on the
> monitor is 'odd' compared to what the various drivers are listed to support
> (640x480, 1024x768, 1920x1080) so again I am not much help here.
>

>> Acer V193w
>>
>> Fedora 32, X
>>
>>> Sometimes if Fedora can only go to generic 640x480 the video card is no
>>> longer 'supported' by the various X11 drivers.. or the data that the
>>> monitor is returning to say what it can support is coming back as
>> 640x480.
>>> Finally this may do better on a fedora mailing list (but they will ask
>> the
>>> same questions). For a CentOS viewpoint I would ask if it happens if you
>>> run CentOS-8 (try via a live cd) on the box. If it does happen, then it
>> is
>>> a problem between Fedora-18 and Fedora-28. If it doesn't happen then it
>> is
>>> a problem between Fedora 28 and the version of Fedora you are trying.
>>
>> IIRC Centos 8 does not have a live version.
>>

> Fudge, I should know that. Sorry for a wild goose chase. I would see if the
> CentOS8 installer goes into X with a larger than 640x480

I just managed to install to an SD card.
Default Centos 8 gives me 1440 x 900.
Installing to a removable drive would seem
a useful substitute for a live CD.

At one point Centos 8 or Gnome gave me a screen with a big date and time on it.
Could not figure out what to do with it.
Had to reboot.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards