[CentOS] BIOS RAID0 and differences between disks

Thu Nov 5 03:21:26 UTC 2020
John Pierce <jhn.pierce at gmail.com>

is it RAID 0 (striped) or raid1 (mirrored) ??

if you wrote on half of a raid0 stripe set, you basically trashed it.
blocks are striped across both drives, so like 16k on the first disk, then
16k on the 2nd then 16k back on the first, repeat (replace 16k with
whatever your raid stripe size is).

if its a raid 1 mirror, then either disk by itself has the complete file
system on it, so you should be able to remirror the changed disk onto the
other drive.   you MUST do that re-mirror because your two disks are no
longer identical, and reads will alternate between them, so some reads will
get new data and others will get old data, which will be highly chaotic.