[CentOS] ssacli start rebuild?

Wed Nov 11 21:01:06 UTC 2020
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

On Wed, 2020-11-11 at 11:34 +0100, Thomas Bendler wrote:
> Am Mi., 11. Nov. 2020 um 07:28 Uhr schrieb hw <hw at gc-24.de>:
>
> > [...]
> > With this experience, these controllers are now deprecated.  RAID
> > controllers
> > that can't rebuild an array after a disk has failed and has been replaced
> > are virtually useless.
> > [...]
>
> HW RAID is often delivered with quite limited functionality. Because of
> this I switched in most cases to software RAID meanwhile and configured the
> HW RAID as JBOD. The funny thing is, when you use the discs previously used
> in the HW RAID in such a scenario, the software RAID detects them as RAID
> disks. It looks like a significant amount of HW RAID controllers use the
> Linux software RAID code in their firmware.

I have yet to see software RAID that doesn't kill the performance.  And where
do you get cost-efficient cards that can do JBOD?  I don't have any.

It turned out that the controller does not rebuild the array even with a disk
that is the same model and capacity as the others.  What has HP been thinking?