[CentOS] ssacli start rebuild?

Thu Nov 12 01:46:50 UTC 2020

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 5:38 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
> On Nov 11, 2020, at 2:01 PM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>>
>> I have yet to see software RAID that doesn't kill the performance.
>
> When was the last time you tried it?
>
> Why would you expect that a modern 8-core Intel CPU would impede I/O in any measureable way as compared to the outdated single-core 32-bit RISC CPU typically found on hardware RAID cards?  These are the same CPUs, mind, that regularly crunch through TLS 1.3 on line-rate fiber Ethernet links, a much tougher task than mediating spinning disk I/O.
>
>> And where
>> do you get cost-efficient cards that can do JBOD?
>
> $69, 8 SATA/SAS ports: https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08UH-0GWZ1
>
> Search for “LSI JBOD” for tons more options.  You may have to fiddle with the firmware to get it to stop trying to do clever RAID stuff, which lets you do smart RAID stuff like ZFS instead.

I’m sure you can reflash LSI card to make it SATA or SAS HBA, or MegaRAD hardware RAID adapter. Is far as I recollect it is the same electronics board. I reflashed a couple of HBAs to make them MegaRAID boards.

One thing though bothers me about LSI, now after last it was bought by Intel its future faith worries me. Intel pushed 3ware which it acquired in the same package with LSI already into oblivion…

Valeri