[CentOS] ssacli start rebuild?

Thu Nov 12 02:04:49 UTC 2020
John Pierce <jhn.pierce at gmail.com>

in large raids, I label my disks with the last 4 or 6 digits of the drive
serial number (or for SAS disks, the WWN).    this is visible via smartctl,
and I record it with the zpool documentation I keep on each server
(typically a text file on a cloud drive).     zpools don't actually care
WHAT slot a given pool member is in, you can shut the box down, shuffle all
the disks, boot back up and find them all and put them back in the pool.

the physical error reports that proceed a drive failure should list the
drive identification beyond just the /dev/sdX kind of thing, which is
subject to change if you add more SAS devices.

I once researched what it would take to implement the drive failure lights
on the typical brand name server/storage chassis, there's a command for
manipulating SES devices such as those lights, the catch is figuring out
the mapping between the drives and lights, its not always evident, so would
require trial and error.