[CentOS] MIDI on a VM

Fri Nov 13 10:10:35 UTC 2020
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

On 13/11/2020 09:09, J Martin Rushton via CentOS wrote:

>>> KVM/QEMU

>>> I can play CDs and listen to YouTube on the host, so I'm assuming the
>>> hardware is fine.
>>
>> I don't know how this works here but doesn't playing MIDI files mean you
>> need a MIDI capable sound card which generates the sound? Maybe the
>> virtual sound-device is only capable to play audio?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>>

> Very good point.  I will investigate further.  I had two models in my head:
>
> 1) The Frescobaldi playback module did the MIDI-> sound conversion.
> 2) The virtual card passed the signals on to the physical card.
>
> Perhaps your third model is correct.

Extra information: I've run up YouTube with the virtual sound card set
to ac97 and can play back a simple audio stream.  Running the MIDI
system has no effect.  Furthermore the mixer shows a connection from
Firefox, but doesn't show one from Frescobaldi.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Well done.  Now how to fix it!

Regards,
Martin

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS