[CentOS] Centos 8 and logwatch

Fri Nov 13 12:36:34 UTC 2020
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

Hmm, it works fine for me, both as a cron job and when run directly.  My
system was last patched about 2 hours ago.

Are you getting any mail?

$ mail mail
Subject: test
test
^D
$

If you get no message then logwatch isn't your issue.  Next check your
cron file, it ought to be in /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch

Ensure that LOGWATCH_SCRIPT actually points to the code (typically
/usr/sbin/logwatch)

Check that the line for the following line:
OPTIONS="--output mail"

The actual invocation on my system is:
$LOGWATCH_SCRIPT --range="between $day and yesterday" $OPTIONS

As a final resort, edit 0logwatch and add the line "set -vx" just above
the invocation.  This will generate output which cron will attempt to
send to root.

Regards,
Martin