[CentOS] mdadm raid-check

Sun Nov 15 03:55:31 UTC 2020

> On Nov 14, 2020, at 8:20 PM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> is it required to run /usr/sbin/raid-check once per week?  Centos 7 does
> this.  Maybe it's sufficient to run it monthly?  IIRC Debian did it monthly.

On hardware RAIDs I do RAID verification once a week. Once a Month a not often enough in my book. That RAID verification effectively reads all stripes of all drives (and verifies that content of redundant drives is consistent), thus preventing a “time bomb”, when a drive left alone for too long, ready to fail in an area which is not accessed, and failing when at some point different drive was replaced and RAID rebuild has to go over all stripes of all drives. Such “multiple failures” are due to poor sysadmin’s work: not often enough RAID verification.

If software raid-check does the same, then it makes a lot of sense, and I am more with RedHat's weekly cron job, than with Debian’s Monthly.

Valeri