[CentOS] (C8) root on mdraid

Mon Nov 16 10:29:17 UTC 2020
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <20201115123245.db62b8248e1f248afe02844a at lukaszposadowski.pl>,
Lukasz Posadowski <mail at lukaszposadowski.pl> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm trying to install CentOS 8 with root and swap partitions on
> software raid. The plan is:
> - create md0 raid level 1 with 2 hard drives: /dev/sda and /dev/sdb,
> using Linux Rscue CD,
> - install CentOS 8 with Virtual Box on my laptop,
> - rsync CentOS 8 root partition on /dev/md0p1,
> - chroot in CentOS 8 root partition,
> - configure /etc/mdadm.conf, grub.cfg, initramfs, install bootloader on
> both sda and sdb drives.
>
> I think I can do first four of the above, but my CentOS installation
> acts strange after rebooting the server. It recognizes the raid, but
> boots randomly with root on /dev/sda1 (and recognizes raid
> with /dev/sdb disk), or with root on /dev/sdb1 (and recognizes raid
> with /dev/sda disk). When booting from Linux Rescue CD, the raid with
> two disk is recognized.

I thought it was much more usual to partition both disks to give sda1,2,3
and sdb1,2,3, and then create /dev/md0 from sda1/sdb1, /dev/md1 from sda2/sdb3,
and so on.

That's the way I have always done it, and have never had any problems.
Never seen an attempt to partition an md device before. In that case,
how would the kernel and initrd be found in order to assemble the RAID?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield