[CentOS] Update from 7 to 8

Tue Nov 24 02:35:15 UTC 2020
Robert G. (Doc) Savage <dsavage at peaknet.net>

On Mon, 2020-11-23 at 10:44 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I stumbled on this today.
> https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/upgrading-from-centos-7-to-8/
>
> I understand the best is always a re-install.... But are these steps
> the
> next best thing to update from 7 to 8 ?

Jerry,

There is a formally supported upgrade from RHEL 7 to 8, but
unfortunately there is none for CentOS 7 to 8. The reason for this is
based on the totally new repository structure Red Hat used for v8. It's
different enough that an exact counterpart to the RHEL 7>8 upgrade
script hasn't been compiled, tested, and supported. Your only choice is
to back up everything and install CentOS 8 from scratch.

--Doc Savage
     Fairview Heights, IL