[CentOS] Replacing SW RAID-1 with SSD RAID-1

Tue Nov 24 17:20:35 UTC 2020

On 11/24/20 11:05 AM, Simon Matter wrote:

>>> Sure, and for large disks I even go further: don't put the whole disk
>>> into
>>> one RAID device but build multiple segments, like create 6 partitions of
>>> same size on each disk and build six RAID1s out of it.
>>
>> Oh, boy, what a mess this will create! I have inherited a machine which
>> was set up by someone with software RAID like that. You need to replace
>> one drive, other RAIDs which that drive's other partitions are
>> participating are affected too.
>>
>> Now imagine that somehow at some moment you have several RAIDs each of
>> them is not redundant, but in each it is partition from different drive
>> that is kicked out. And now you are stuck unable to remove any of failed
>> drives, removal of each will trash one or another RAID (which are not
>> redundant already). I guess the guy who left me with this setup listened
>> to advises like the one you just gave. What a pain it is to deal with
>> any drive failure on this machine!!
>>
>> It is known since forever: The most robust setup is the simplest one.
>
> I understand that, I also like keeping things simple (KISS).
>
> Now, in my own experience, with these multi terabyte drives today, in 95%
> of the cases where you get a problem it is with a single block which can
> not be read fine. A single write to the sector makes the drive remap it
> and problem is solved. That's where a simple resync of the affected RAID
> segment is the fix. If a drive happens to produce such a condition once a
> year, there is absolutely no reason to replace the drive, just trigger the
> remapping of the bad sector and and drive will remember it in the internal
> bad sector map. This happens all the time without giving an error to the
> OS level, as long as the drive could still read and reconstruct the
> correct data.
>
> In the 5% of cases where a drive really fails completely and needs
> replacement, you have to resync the 10 RAID segments, yes. I usually do it
> with a small script and it doesn't take more than some minutes.

It is one story if you administer one home server. It is quite different
is you administer a couple of hundreds of them, like I do. And just 2-3
machines set up in such a disastrous manner as I just described suck
10-20 times more of my time each compared to any other machine - the
ones I configured hardware for myself, and set up myself, then you are
entitled to say what I said.

Hence the attitude.

Keep things simple, so they do not suck your time - if you do it for living.

But if it is a hobby of yours - the one that takes all your time, and
gives you a pleasure just to fiddle with it, then it's your time, and
your pleasure, do it the way to get more of it ;-)

Valeri