[CentOS] Replacing SW RAID-1 with SSD RAID-1

Tue Nov 24 19:45:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 12:18:57PM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>   ZFS is ready today.

I disagree.

It is ready today only if you are willing to abandon Linux entirely
and switch to BSD, or run a Linux distro like Ubuntu that is possibly
violating a license.  3rd-party repositories that use dkms can be
dangerous for a storage service, and I'd prefer to keep compilers out
of my servers.

I'm not willing to move away from CentOS and am ethically bound not to
violate the GPL.  I would say that unless the ZFS project can fix
their license, then it would be ready for Linux.

At least with Stratis, there's an attempt to work within the Linux
world. I'm excited to see Fedora making btrfs as the default root
filesystem, too.