[CentOS] Invisible files and disk space

Thu Oct 8 21:45:15 UTC 2020
centos2 at foxengines.net <centos2 at foxengines.net>

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 06:38:55PM +0200, Simon Matter wrote:

> >> aren't
> >>
> >> Sparse files? How are you determining how much free space you have?
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> >
> > I didn't attempt to find sparse files specifically but there were no files
> > (or
> > dot-files) at the top level of / that contained any significant data.
> >
> > There sum of the sizes of all of the directories at the top level of /
> > reported
> > by du did not match the amount of disk space used at the time of the
> > problem.
> > I don't have a transcript of that session but I was using commands like:
> >
> > find / -maxdepth 1 -xdev -type d | while read; do du -shx $d; done
>
> What does
>
> lsof | grep DEL
>
> show?

Well, it doesn't show anything now because I ran out of time to troubleshoot
and had to reboot the computer which eliminated whatever was using the space. I
didn't look for this pattern but I did look for "deleted". I will add this
pattern to the list for the next time the problem occurs. I was hoping I would
get some responses like this--thanks!