[CentOS] Mail server troubles

Thu Oct 8 21:49:51 UTC 2020
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

This is probably a bit OT, but here goes.

I've been running our local school's mail server since 2013, with mail
addresses for school staff and some teachers. The server is running CentOS 7
with Postfix and Dovecot, and it's a nice no-bullshit configuration with SPF,
DKIM and DMARC.

The school sends quite a lot of email out to parents, and sometimes, mail gets
rejected:

--8<--------------------------------------------------------
<xxxxxxxx at orange.fr>: host smtp-in.orange.fr[193.252.22.65] said: 550 5.2.0
    Mail rejete. Mail rejected. ofr_506 [506] (in reply to end of DATA command)

<yyyyyyyy at wanadoo.fr>: host smtp-in.orange.fr[193.252.22.65] said: 550 5.2.0
    Mail rejete. Mail rejected. ofr_506 [506] (in reply to end of DATA command)
--8<--------------------------------------------------------

This happens randomly with the usual suspects among crappy mail providers like
Orange, Hotmail/Live, Yahoo and the rest.

The school's not happy because in their eyes I'm faulty of badly maintaining
their mail server.

So my question to you: do any of you guys running mail servers have similar
experiences? And how do you cope with it?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr